As we come through (hopefully) the worst of the pandemic, we've been briefly reflecting on trends we saw with attraction clients.
This is based around 1 Sept - 30 Nov 2019 v.s. same period in 2021...
- Outdoor attractions online performance
These typically saw online conversion rates increase by 50-300%, with revenue significantly up v.s. pre-pandemic.
- Indoor attraction website performance
A more mixed picture with indoor attractions. Conversion rate changes were minimal, typically +/-5% from 2019 levels. However, most of the attractions we work with saw revenue increase, so the sales were better despite a more challenging environment to convert users.
What's driving the numbers?
We suspect, that increased conversion rates were driven from...
- Improved flexibility for guests to visit in off-peak times (as they're saving time commuting, or can enjoy last minute local days out)
- Desire to get out of the house and enjoy fun activities post lockdown
- Most of attractions got a lot more savvy with upsells and premium packages to help drive revenue, so bookings were higher value
General online / mobile trends
Some other helpful stats for you to keep in mind (from our RocketFuel retainer brochures)
- 20% of user have abandoned purchases due to poor UX
Frustrated users are less likely to buy or upgrade on your site - see Baymard report
- 4.42% drop in conversion rate per second of load time
Slow sites cost money, search engine rankings and affect guest satisfaction - see Portent report
- Most online Grow conversion rate by 35.26% with better checkout design
Most attractions are leaving money on the table with clunky purchase journeys - see Think With Google
- At least 34% of UK adults only use mobile devices to go online (11% only use their phones) - see Ofcom report
Top 5 WINS to check today...
In terms of checkouts, the biggest impact areas are normally -
- Use systems customers are familiar with, particularly Stripe / Apple Pay / Paypal / Google Pay
- Make sure checkout is mobile first, and makes use of mobile payments technology
- Check conversion rates per device/browser and make sure any low performing ones are tested
- Emphasise security, convenience and reduce all distractions
- Add trigger messaging, retargeting and newsletter sign up from the checkout flow
- BONUS - Consider Klarna and similar buy-now-pay-later tools (interesting stats on these)
Hopefully that helps... if you need a hand untangling your attraction's Google Analytics or overall CRO strategy then just drop us a line and we'll be happy to help.