Semantic began back in 1999, helping shift the view of what was possible online - pushing design, systems & strategy to deliver awesome customer experiences.
adjective | origin sēmantikós
Semantic is the linguistic or philosophical study of words and how they link together to create different meanings. In our online world, the precise words, symbols and layouts that we use all work together to convey meaning.
Getting the semantics right is key to communicating effectively with your users and helping your business to drive results and grow online.
The early days
- 1997 - Semantic was founded
- 1998 - Windows 98 is launched
- 1999 - We became a limited company
- 2000 - We help THORPE PARK launch Tidal Wave, Europe’s largest water ride at the time, and starting a relationship with Merlin Entertainments (was Tussauds) that grew for over 20 years
- 2000 - The .com Bubble bursts… our golf markedly improved that summer!
- 2001 - Apple launches the iPod
- 2005 - We develop a 3D game for Warwick Castle’s Trebuchet launch (back in the days of Flash!)
- 2006 - We start working with Marwell Wildlife
- 2006 - Chris Moses joins as employee #3
The rise of the smartphone
- 2007 - Apple launches the iPhone
- 2007 - Our first mobile site launches for Chessington
- 2008 - Neil joins Semantic as employee #4
- 2009 - We release our first Christmas Song
- 2010 - The term Support Ninjas is coined so that we can provide same-day support
- 2010 - We start working with Merlin’s Magic Wand children’s charity to lift their online presence and transform their application processing
- 2010 - Our first responsive website launches - the international, multilanguage LEGOLAND Discovery Centre attraction website.
- 2010 - James joins as employee #5
The era of voice search begins
- 2011 - Apple adds Siri to the iPhone 4s - the first widespread Voice Assistant
- 2012 - We launch an international rebranded site for The Dungeons, along with a Rat-Splat game
- 2013 - We focus onto strategy, user testing and Conversion Rate Optimisation (CRO)
- 2014 - Voice Assistants are getting big - Amazon launched Alexa
- 2014 - We release our last Christmas Song (much to everyone’s relief!)
- 2015 - We launch Bath Rugby, our first Umbraco CMS-driven site
- 2016 - Neil takes on the MD role
- 2017 - Jason takes on the Lead Developer role
- 2018 - Neil buys the business from Nick
- 2018 - We start working with Dream Challenges and Specialist Journeys to streamline their online platforms.
- 2019 - We begin offering separate SEO and CRO services for clients and non-clients.
- 2019 - We develop our monthly QPS reports to maximise our impact each month.
- 2020 - COVID19 hits the world. We respond and adapt to help clients survive and thrive, with new resources, plans to spread project costs and new results-based billing options.
- 2021 - We knuckle down to help attractions grown and take advantage of a 'new normal' where the website and online booking became a pre-requisite for entry!
- 2021 - Recruitment to help keep up with record sales as we emerge from the pandemic
- 2021 - ROCKET FUEL Retainer Packages are released, helping shift emphasis to growth and marginal gains
- 2022 - Development of our new LOOP visitor experience platform for attractions begins
- 2022 - iFLY mobile-first website launches (around the 5th major iteration of the site)
23 years in, and we're just getting started.
Whilst it's great to look back, we're more excited about what's to come, maybe you'll be part of it? With all the current challenges, making the most of opportunities and using technology to transform businesses will have a larger impact than ever.